Basil Pesto Pasta (nut-free)
I was having trouble finding a pesto that was nut free so I decided to make my own! I have to say that lockdown 2020 really gave me the push to recreate tons of my favorite products from the grocery store. I ran out of basil for my pesto so I added a little bit of spinach to supplement it. You can’t taste the difference and it adds some extra nutrition. Who doesn’t love that right?
I’ve made this recipe about 3 times in the past two weeks because I am just loving it! This pasta is great to plan for meal prep because you can switch it up everyday if you’d like. I used brown rice pasta for this recipe so WOOHOO for Gluten Free options ! It is absolutely delicious on its own, but also great to enjoy as a side ! I have paired it with some grilled chicken, as well as some garlic shrimp. It’s sooooooo good ! Please Enjoy!
Basil Pesto Pasta
- 1 box brown rice pasta
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 oz basil
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 8-10 asparagus stalks ends cut
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- squeeze of lemon
- On a prepared sheet pan, roast the tomatoes and asparagus in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- Boil pasta to al dente according to instructions on the box ( about 7 mins ).
- In a blender or food processor, add in all ingredients and slowly add in the olive oil to create an emulsion. (Feel free to blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender as well
- Drain pasta and pour back into desired dish.
- Stir pesto into pasta and set aside.
- Add roasted tomatoes and asparagus to pasta and toss to combine.
- Feel free to grate some more parmesan on top of the pasta !